Belonging in Anghiari: Mark Curfoot-Mollington

In 2017, I began conducting interviews with people who live in Anghiari. Some were conducted in Italian, some in English, and they were all published in both languages on this blog. While in Anghiari earlier this year I continued this project. These interviews will also be published in both languages. Here is the first of them.

Belonging in Anghiari: Mark Curfoot-Mollington

 Mark/Marco is a 70 year old Canadian who holds Italian residency. While Mark regards Anghiari as his principle home now, he regularly returns to Ottawa, and he spends a few months every year in Cambodia doing voluntary work. Since retiring, he has also had a couple of novels published. In Canada, Mark is an active member of the Church of England; in Anghiari, he has found the Roman Catholic church very welcoming. I interviewed Mark in the apartment, located in the mediaeval part of town, that he and his partner, Ron Price, bought in 2001. Ron died there ten years ago. The interview was conducted in English, and Mirella Alessio transcribed it and translated this edited version into Italian.Mark c-m 2


In 2001, Ron retired and I thought it would be a nice gift to come to Italy. We’d had many, many holidays here, especially when we were young. We used to go to Sicily a lot; this is almost 40 years ago … we had wonderful holidays. We used to come in the summer, because that was when teachers got time off.  We didn’t go for a while, but then Ron came and studied at the university in Perugia for a year. So, we always had at the back of our minds that we would buy something, and we always figured that it would be in Umbria and not in Tuscany. Anyway, we came on this trip and stayed at my friend Shelagh’s place – the little house across the garden there. It was the first time we’d been to Anghiari. So, we were staying there, and we were enjoying it. And then we learnt from Giuseppe (who was managing Shelagh’s place) that this place, now my home, was for sale. We thought it was wonderful, and we just decided to buy it. We called it Ca’Price for the ‘Price’ which was Ron’s last name.  Ca’Price: the house of Price. But it was also a play of words as it was a capricious act to buy it.  It wasn’t Umbria, but it was only 5km from Umbria, so since the price was right ….

I feel part of this place. I live in a neighbourhood…  I go out in the morning and I hang my clothes out – ‘Buongiorno signorina’, ‘Buongiorno signora’ – and of course I never hang the laundry the right way – ‘pazzo (mad) doesn’t know anything’. Romana was horrified, because I think you are supposed to hang things by size but I just put them all up together, in whatever way I pick them from the basket.

So, Romana is there every morning leaning out the window, and every morning I talk to Agnese. Her mother, Lea, who was a great character, wonderful actress, died about a year ago, and Agnese never married and still lives here. And they speak anghiarese with me, they don’t speak standard Italian, so I find it hard, but it’s a compliment really. Agnese used to say to her mother ‘mamma, mamma, parla italiano con Marco e Ronaldo, non anghiarese’, but now they all speak anghiarese, and that is a compliment really, because I am part of the community. And the same with Adriano, the man who lives along the street from me. None of them speaks English; I don’t have any neighbours who speak English.

When I talk about my neighbourhood, I’m talking about people in the streets around here. And it is really sad because they are dying – 3 or 4 of them have died in the last year and a half. There would have been maybe 10 households and we would chat together … so many are dying off. And Lina has died; her daughter is a former mayor. A lot of my friends, particularly the elderly people, have died. Beppa died, her husband Enzo died. And Poppa, Signora Zanchi, known to all in Anghiari as Poppa.

It scares me about the houses, because the children live in Rome…. Some of them keep the places and they come sometimes for the weekend and that is it. But it frightens  me sometimes that Anghiari could become like Montone and places like that, which are almost like museums.

So now there is Romana and Mario and Agnese and me, and nobody else much except for Adriano down the street and I don’t see him very much. Mario and Romana, however,  are my very, very dear friends, and they are in very good shape; Mario, who is almost 80, does the garden, and Romana is 78 and she is my housekeeper. She looks after me, but I worry that it is getting a bit too much for her. I know that they think sometimes that they might move closer to their son who lives in Sansepolcro, so they would be going. And Agnese, she is on her own, and that worries me…and others…. Yes, it is sad, I really miss them. I miss seeing Poppa who would hang out her window on via Francesco Nenci and sing Tuscan ballads and shout at the neighbours.  I find I still look for her as I’m coming home up the hill … I do miss them.

Speaking of community, the Church has been important for me here – they’ve welcomed me completely. It’s not like a community in churches in Canada, where they have coffee, they gather for social visits. People here don’t go to church for a sense of community like that. 95% of them would be Roman Catholic, and going to church is just part of their lives. I go there, to the 9.30 at La Propositura rather than the 11, and people say good morning to you. Some of them I know better than others – I know Elisabetta, you know, the lady who has the leather shop, so people like that. And Fiammetta who looks after the houses of some English and American people. These people from the church are friends – and we all chat a little bit, and you feel part of the community…. Most of them, I don’t know their names, but I see them on the street and we say ‘Hello’, and there’s something nice about that … you feel that you belong. And Don Marco (the priest) was extremely kind when Ron died, they were amazingly kind, the whole community was.

I’ll tell you about Ron’s death. He came back to Anghiari, I expect knowing he would die here… we came in the summer of his last year and then we came back again in the fall. In November he got very ill. I think he wanted to die here to be perfectly honest. The palliative care doctor and staff who organised everything, were very, very good. The doctor came here, to our home, every day. His name was Pietro Martini and I continued seeing him at church until he died earlier this year. You know you have to select your doctor from a list provided by the health services and we didn’t know one doctor from another. Anyway, we liked the thought of a doctor named Martini, so that is why we chose him. He came every single day, except Sunday, and we had home help – 2 nurses came every day. They said Ron could die here, and I don’t think you could get better care anywhere. I told dottor Martini: ‘In North America doctors never make house calls’ He looked stunned: ‘What do you mean? Don’t tell me that; that is ridiculous. They won’t come to your house? Not possible.’ He was quite horrified.

Anyway, the day Ron died, Giuseppe came around about 3 o’clock in the afternoon. It was the Annunciation, in December, so it was a holiday, which means that it is more complicated contacting the coroner`s office. Anyway, Giuseppe came in and I said: ‘Oh, Ron, look who is here.’ He opened his eyes: ‘Oh Giuseppe, nice to see you.’ So that was the last thing Ron said. And Giuseppe said to me: ‘Do you want to have Don Marco come for the last rites?’, and I said ‘That coming from you, you communist!’ I had to laugh. I said: ‘No, I don’t think so’, because Ron wasn’t a churchgoer, and I didn’t think he would necessarily like it.

He died about 9.30 in the evening, and Giuseppe came around at once; Mario, Romana, and my friend Weston also came at once.  Romana took over everything. I have often thought I could write a piece for the New Yorker, ‘My big, fat, Italian funeral’, because it was really funny in a lot of ways. The undertaker, Marco Pernici, came, and said we had a little window of opportunity for extreme unction. It seems that if you miss the last rites you can still get extreme unction … it is all very complicated, very RC, and I said ‘mmm, I don’t know’ But then from Ron’s perspective it didn’t matter either way. So Don Marco came, and he was very nice. He knew Ron wasn’t a Roman Catholic – I remember Ron talking to him early on in our stay in Anghiari at the annual Lenten blessings of our house, telling him he was raised a Protestant…. Yet, he was prepared  to give him the full service. Anyway, Mr Pernici goes to leave and I said ‘You are not taking the body?’ and he said ‘Are you nervous to have the body?’ ‘No, why would I be nervous….’  I just didn’t know the procedure.

And then the next day people called in during the day … very nice, and supportive.  In the evening Signor Pernici came to put the body into a coffin and bolt it closed.  An electric drill to screw in the bolts. I will never forget, they were coming to take the coffin down the street, early in the morning of the service, to the church. Ron’s mother had called from the States – Missouri – it was midnight there, so it is quite early in the morning  here – and anyway I got really behind, while she argued about getting a lock of Ron’s hair and I tried to explain that the coffin was bolted closed and could not be opened.  Meanwhile I was trying to eat some breakfast and get dressed to go to the bank and pay for the grave.

Mario and Romana arrived and I am in my pyjamas trying to eat cereal and trying to please Ron’s mother on the phone. And Sr Pernici arrived early to take the body and he said ‘You have to walk behind the coffin down the street’ and I said ‘I can’t walk down the street in my pyjamas!’ ‘You have to walk down the street!’ ‘I can’t’. I said ‘Mario you represent me. Nobody is going to see the coffin going from here… nobody is going to see the coffin going down the street’. Anyway I had to run down to the bank to pay for the grave… and then the nurses, who couldn’t go to the funeral, arrived … I barely made it, about 2 minutes before the funeral, I got to the church.

Talking about the community, the ladies from around here did the flowers, the ladies from La Badia, our parish church. It’s not used very often, but there will be a service there this Sunday, Palm Sunday, at 9 o’clock. Anyway, they had lovely flowers, and several men from Anghiari formed the choir…Mario and Bruno Sannai… the men sang… it was beautiful. It was absolutely beautifully done, and Don Marco spoke. They asked me to say something, but I said no, I can’t stand it when people get up and they go on… and what Don Marco said was all that was needed. And a lot of people came. After the mass, there was a beautiful procession, because you walk to the grave… it was a beautiful day in December, to walk down to the cemetery. It was quite lovely.

I’ve never had a sense here that they bother about people’s sexual orientation. It was really funny because last year Romana, I was over at her place, and she said ‘Now, it is all right, everybody would think it is perfectly all right, if you got another companion. We will support that’. ‘Not interested … one is enough’.  My reply! Oh boy do I mean that.

Living between two cultures can feel rather schizophrenic. I’ve felt this particularly since Ron died. When you are away from any place too long, you miss the day to day activities. People are always glad to see me when I return, but you can lose continuity.  My principal residence is Anghiari but I enjoy my times in Canada. For example, in Canada, they’ll find a new bridge partner if I’m away for too long. So now what I tend to do is come here for a couple of months and then I go back to Canada for a visit. I spend 2 months in Cambodia. I don’t know what I would do if I had to choose between Italy and Canada – I enjoy both. I would say probably I spend more time here now as an official resident, but I don’t want to give up my life in Canada. I have a lot of friends, I have a very, very nice place, and, of course, I had my mother until a couple of years ago.

Mama used to come here frequently. The last time she came she was 98. She had her 95th birthday here. There were almost 60 people at the Castello di Sorci just outside town, mostly people from Anghiari and a few from the expat community. The old part of the castello, where we had the party, is charming, with exquisite table clothes and chair covers. We had a meal of many courses, lots of singing and laughing, and wine, grappa and vin santo.

I’ll give you some idea of my daily life here in Anghiari. My Italian is much better now. You see, because Ron spoke Italian fluently, that meant I didn’t have to; I could rely on him. But then, as he got ill, I had to, to arrange things…. So, speaking Italian and having to do things on my own has made a difference.

Anyway, as I said, in the morning I often do the washing because there is only a small washing machine, and then I hang it up, and I chat with the neighbours when I do that. From there I always have breakfast and then I usually go out, down to the piazza. I go down and I get my New York Times International (International Herald Tribune as it once was) from Angela and then I go over and I have a cup of coffee at the bar, either the Garibaldi or the Bar Sport… and that is a pleasant way to start a day. I sit and read my paper. I do my shopping. I visit the butcher and his brother, Mondo and Beppe, and then I go to Letizia for my vegetables and back up here. Suddenly the morning is gone. Sometimes I go to the market, the barber… and I go every week to the florist, I always have flowers from Marta at the florist on the piazza. I go to the supermarket in Sansepolcro for paper towels, and you know, coffee, tea, what I would call staples, and wine, because they have a good selection there.

After lunch I have a little pisolino (nap), and I sit outside, and I read a lot; I sit in the garden in the nicer weather when there’s sun in my garden. I normally write late morning or late afternoon, but I wouldn’t say that I come here to write. In the afternoon I often go for a walk.  Usually, I go for a walk down to the cemetery…. And in the nicer weather I like to go down in the evening and have a drink either in the Garibaldi or the Bar Sport.

When I’m having an aperitivo in the evening, or my coffee in the morning, I always chat with people. People come and sit beside me. In the morning I sit by myself because I want to read my paper, but I have conversations. If I go to the Garibaldi in the morning, I always chat … I like to chat with Olga, the Belarusian lady behind the bar – I am very fond of her.

What makes Anghiari special is the people – there is a lovely feeling when you walk down the street and everybody says ‘hello’. And I know people… I do voluntary work, working at the Pro Loco, so I’ve met many people doing that. It is my way of saying ‘thank you’ and I think people really, really appreciate that, and it’s why I am treated as well as I am, because they say ‘he has tried to give back’. I go in, usually on weekends.   I am supposed to provide information and help to do the English/French visitors, but they often leave me there alone so I deal with the Italians as well!  I get funny looks from Italian visitors – the information man with questionable Italian.

At the library, next to the Pro Loco, I did a presentation on one of my books, and they came, all sorts people came. I couldn’t believe it, Italian people who couldn’t speak a word of English came. And other writers came, because I have been to their book presentations at the library. They have wonderful events there. Merryl, the librarian, is an English woman…. she has been here a long time and she speaks fluent Italian. She runs the library now on a voluntary basis. Very interesting person… And beautiful frescoes on the walls and ceilings …

Anyway, when I go down to have a coffee, I walk into the bar and people say ‘hello’, and I don’t feel like a foreigner.

When I am in Canada, it’s a very different experience. Of course, people say ‘Hello’ but 99 times out of 100 I don’t know anybody over there. It is just a very, very different thing. I go to the supermarket, and on the weekend I go to the farmers market to get my vegetables for the week. That’s it. Shopping is not an activity of life, it’s not social – I just go there to get things. Whereas here, I really enjoy talking to Mondo the butcher in his Castello dialect, and I talk to Letizia – I’m very fond of her. That is part of my daily life. I know the checkout women at the supermarket in Canada, but it’s not the same.

My life is very different in Canada. I go to the gym and I swim daily. And I belong to more social things. I belong to a bridge group for example and I am still on a couple of boards, and I go to church.  In Anghiari you go to church and you chat and you say ‘Hello’ and everything, but there is no social activity related to going to the church. In Canada, I go to the bridge group, I go to coffee hour on Sunday …. There are a lot more dinner parties and cocktail parties – there’s that kind of social circle for me in Ottawa. And, if I don’t feel like sitting at home in the evening, there are things I can do – there’ll be a concert on or a movie or a play. I can feel a bit more lonely here because, if I feel a bit lonely in Canada, I just phone some friends, and say ‘Come over, I’ll make dinner and we can play bridge’.  I can’t play bridge here.

Generally people don’t do dinner parties and cocktail parties here in Anghiari – it’s just a different lifestyle. I love having dinner parties, and I usually have people over once a week, but I have a rule that it has to be half and half, Italians and expats. I won’t have a dinner party with just expats. Tomorrow night you are coming here for dinner and you’ll see there’ll be a mix. It’s good for the expats to mix a little bit, but I think it is just more fun.

On reflection, I think I have felt less a foreigner since being on my own. Everybody had been so very kind to me, and then I did the volunteering, and suddenly I was just part of the community.  Since I have been on my own, I have had to speak more, I have to do things on my own. I have to deal with the bureaucracy and whatever…. I felt part of the community before, definitely, but when I ended up on my own, and I found that I could do things, that I had the confidence, well, then I felt happy.

Il senso di appartenenza ad Anghiari: Mark Curfoot-Mollington

Mark/Marco, settant’anni, è canadese ma ha anche la residenza in Italia. Anche se ora si sente a casa ad Anghiari, ritorna regolarmente ad Ottawa e passa alcuni mesi ogni anno in Cambogia, dove svolge un’attività di volontariato. Da quando è in pensione ha anche pubblicato un paio di romanzi. In Canada, Mark è un membro attivo della Chiesa di Inghilterra, ad Anghiari ha trovato la Chiesa cattolica molto accogliente. Ho intervistato Mark nell’appartamento che si trova nella parte medievale del paese e che lui e il partner, Ron Price, comprarono nel 2001 e dove Ron è morto dieci anni fa. L’intervista si è svolta in inglese, è stata poi trascritta e tradotta, nella sua versione editata, da Mirella Alessio.

 Nel 2001 Ron è andato in pensione e io ho pensato che sarebbe stato un bel regalo venire in Italia, dove avevamo trascorso moltissime vacanze, specialmente quando eravamo giovani. Siamo andati molto in Sicilia, sto parlando di quarant’anni fa…abbiamo passato delle splendide vacanze. Di solito venivamo in estate, quando gli insegnanti hanno le ferie. Non ci siamo venuti per un po’, ma poi Ron è venuto a studiare all’università a Perugia per un anno. Quindi avevamo sempre avuto in mente di comprare qualcosa e abbiamo sempre pensato all’Umbria, non alla Toscana. Comunque, siamo venuti e siamo stati a casa della mia amica Shelagh, la casetta dall’altra parte del giardino. Era la prima volta che venivamo ad Anghiari. E quindi, siamo stati là e ci è piaciuto molto. E poi abbiamo sentito da Giuseppe, che si occupava della proprietà di Shelagh, che questa casa, che adesso è casa mia, era in vendita. Abbiamo pensato che fosse meravigliosa e abbiamo subito deciso di comprarla. L’abbiamo chiamata Ca’Price, Price era il cognome di Ron, Ca’ Price, la casa di Price. Ma era anche un gioco di parole, visto che è stato un capriccio comprarla. Non era in Umbria, ma era a soli cinque chilometri dall’Umbria, e il prezzo era giusto…

Io mi sento parte di questo paese. Vivo in un quartiere…. Esco la mattina e appendo il bucato – “Buongiorno, signorina”, “Buongiorno, signora” e ovviamente non lo appendo mai nel modo giusto – “Pazzo, non sa niente!” Romana era scioccata, penso perché le cose si debbano appendere per dimensione, ma io metto tutto insieme, così come vengono su dal cesto.

Allora, Romana è là, ogni mattina, affacciata alla finestra, e ogni mattina parlo con Agnese. Sua madre, Lea, un personaggio incredibile, un’attrice fantastica, è morta circa un anno fa e Agnese non si è mai sposata e vive ancora qui. E loro parlano anghiarese con me, non parlano italiano, per me è difficile, ma in realtà è un complimento. Agnese diceva sempre alla mamma: “Mamma, mamma, parla italiano con Marco e Ronaldo, non anghiarese”, ma adesso tutti mi parlano in anghiarese, veramente un complimento, perché io faccio parte della comunità. E lo stesso con Adriano, che abita nella mia strada, un po’ più su, nessuno di loro parla inglese, non ho nessun vicino che parli inglese.

Quando parlo del mio quartiere, in realtà voglio dire la gente che sta qui intorno. È veramente triste perché stanno morendo– tre o quattro sono morti solo nell’ultimo anno e mezzo. C’erano una decina di famiglie e chiacchieravamo fra di noi…, stanno morendo così in tanti. E Lina è morta, sua figlia è stata sindaco. Molti dei miei amici, particolarmente gli anziani, sono morti. Beppa è morta, suo marito Enzo è morto. E Poppa, la signora Zanchi, che tutti ad Anghiari chiamavano Poppa.

Mi spaventa per via delle case, perché i figli vivono a Roma… Alcuni si tengono la casa e ci vengono qualche volta per il week end. Ma qualche volta mi preoccupa che Anghiari possa diventare come Montone e paesi così, che sono diventati quasi dei musei.

E quindi adesso ci sono Romana e Mario e Agnese e io, e non molti altri, a parte Adriano, più giù su questa strada, ma lui non lo vedo molto. Comunque Mario e Romana sono miei amici, veramente cari amici e sono in ottima forma, Mario ha quasi ottant’anni, cura il giardino e Romana, ha 78 anni, si occupa della casa. Si prende cura di me, ma ho paura che stia diventando un po’ troppo per lei. So che qualche volta pensano di trasferirsi più vicino al figlio che vive a Sansepolcro, e così se ne andrebbero. E Agnese, lei è da sola e questo mi preoccupa…e gli altri… Sì, è triste, mi mancano proprio. Mi manca non vedere Poppa che, affacciata dalla finestra su via Francesco Nenci, canta ballate toscane e grida con i vicini. Ancora adesso, mentre torno a casa, su per la salita, mi ritrovo a cercarla… mi mancano proprio.

Parlando della comunità, la Chiesa è stata importante per me qui, mi hanno accolto tutti benissimo. Non è come la comunità delle chiese in Canada, dove organizzano dei caffè insieme, si incontrano in occasioni sociali. La gente qui non va in chiesa per un senso di comunità di questo genere. Al 95% sono cattolici e andare in chiesa fa parte delle loro vite. Io vado alle nove e mezza, alla Prepositura, non alle undici, e la gente si saluta, mi dicono buongiorno. Alcuni li conosco meglio di altri, conosco Elisabetta, sai chi è, no? La signora della pelletteria, gente così. E Fiammetta che bada alle case di alcuni inglesi e americani. Questi che incontro in chiesa sono amici, chiacchieriamo un po’ e ti senti parte della comunità…  Di quasi nessuno so il nome, ma li vedo per strada e ci diciamo “Buongiorno” ed è simpatico…. hai la sensazione di far parte di questo posto… E don Marco, il prete, è stato estremamente gentile quando Ron è morto, sono stati tutti incredibilmente gentili, tutta la comunità lo è stata.

Ti racconto della morte di Ron. Era tornato ad Anghiari, me l’aspettavo dato che sapevo che voleva morire qua… siamo tornati in estate del suo ultimo anno e poi siamo tornati di nuovo in autunno. A novembre si era aggravato. Onestamente, penso che volesse morire qua. Il medico delle cure palliative e lo staff hanno organizzato tutto e sono stati bravissimi. Il dottore è venuto qua, a casa nostra, ogni giorno. Si chiamava Pietro Martini, ho continuato a vederlo in chiesa, fino a quando è morto all’inizio di quest’anno. Sai che devi scegliere un medico da una lista che ti danno all’Asl e noi non conoscevamo nessuno, ma ci piaceva l’idea di un dottore che si chiamasse Martini, ecco perché l’abbiamo scelto. È venuto ogni giorno, eccetto la domenica, e noi avevamo un aiuto in casa, due infermiere che venivano ogni giorno. Ci hanno detto che Ron poteva restare a casa e non penso che avremmo potuto trovare un’assistenza migliore di quella che abbiamo ricevuto qui. Io ho detto al dottor Martini: “In America i dottori non fanno visite a casa” Lui era allibito: “Ma cosa dici? Ma non dirmi, è totalmente ridicolo. Non vanno a casa? Impossibile.” Era veramente inorridito.

 Comunque, il giorno che Ron è morto Giuseppe era venuto verso le tre del pomeriggio. Era l’Annunciazione, dicembre, quindi era un giorno festivo, il che significa che è più difficile contattare il medico legale. Comunque, Giuseppe entra e io dico: “Oh, Ron, guarda chi c’è.” Lui ha aperto gli occhi: “Oh Giuseppe, son contento di vederti!”. È stata l’ultima cosa che Ron ha detto. E Giuseppe mi ha detto: “Vuoi chiamare don Marco per la benedizione?” e io ho detto “Veramente, detto da te, un comunista!” mi è venuto da ridere. E ho detto: “No, non penso proprio” perché Ron non andava in chiesa e non penso gli avrebbe fatto piacere.

È morto verso le nove e mezza, la sera e Giuseppe è venuto immediatamente, anche Mario, Romana e il mio amico Weston sono venuti subito. Romana si è occupata di tutto. Ho pensato spesso di scrivere un pezzo per il New Yorker “Il mio grosso grasso funerale italiano”, perché è stato veramente divertente, per molti versi. L’impresario delle pompe funebri, Marco Pernici, è venuto e ha detto che c’era ancora tempo per la benedizione della salma. Sembra che se non hai ricevuto l’estrema unzione sia possibile comunque ricevere una benedizione … È tutto molto complicato, molto cattolico e io ho detto “mmm, non so”. Ma poi, dal punto di vista di Ron, non aveva nessuna importanza, in un modo o nell’altro. Cosi don Marco è venuto ed è stato molto gentile. Lui sapeva che Ron non era cattolico, ricordo che Ron gliel’aveva detto, quando stavamo da poco ad Anghiari, durante la benedizione tradizionale delle case, durante la Quaresima, gli ha detto che era stato allevato nella fede protestante… . E nonostante ciò era d’accordo a fare la cerimonia completa. Comunque, il signor Pernici fa per andarsene e io dico: “Non portate via il corpo?” e lui dice: “Ti fa effetto restare con il corpo?” “No, perché dovrebbe farmi effetto…”. Solo non sapevo la procedura.

E poi, il giorno dopo, la gente è venuta durante il giorno…molto bello, e un gran supporto. La sera il signor Pernici è venuto per metter il corpo nella bara e a sigillarlo. Un trapano elettrico per avvitare le viti. Non me lo dimenticherò mai, stavano per venire a prendere la bara e portarlo giù per la strada, la mattina presto, il giorno del funerale in chiesa. La madre di Ron ha chiamato dagli Stati uniti, dal Missouri, là era mezzanotte, quindi qui era mattina, molto presto, e comunque, ero molto in ritardo e lei stava insistendo per avere una ciocca dei capelli di Ron mentre io cercavo di spiegarle che la bara era stata sigillata e non si poteva aprire. Nel frattempo stavo cercando di fare un po’ di colazione e vestirmi per andare in banca e pagare per la tomba.


Mario e Romana sono arrivati e io ero in pigiama, stavo cercando di mangiare i cereali e allo stesso tempo di essere gentile con la madre di Ron al telefono. E il signor Pernici è arrivato presto per prendere il corpo e ha detto: “Devi camminare giù per la strada dietro la bara” e io ho detto “Non posso scendere in strada in pigiama!” “Devi scendere in strada!” “Non posso!” Ho detto: “ Mario, vai tu a rappresentarmi. Nessuno vedrà la cassa andare via da qui…nessuno vedrà la bara giù in strada!” Comunque ho dovuto correre in banca a pagare per la tomba…e poi sono arrivate le infermiere che non sarebbero potute venire al funerale… ce l’ho fatta per un pelo, sono arrivato in chiesa due minuti prima del funerale.

E parlando della comunità, le signore che abitano qui intorno si sono occupate dei fiori, le signore della Badia, la nostra parrocchia. Non è usata molto spesso, ma ci sarà messa questa domenica, la domenica delle Palme, alle nove. Comunque i fiori erano bellissimi e nel coro c’erano molti uomini di Anghiari….Mario e Bruno Sannai…gli uomini hanno cantato…è stato bellissimo. Tutto è stato fatto in modo assolutamente bello e don Marco ha fatto un discorso. Mi hanno chiesto di dire qualcosa, ma io ho detto di no, non sopporto quando la gente si alza e va avanti a parlare … e quello che don Marco ha detto bastava già. Ed è venuta un sacco di gente. Dopo la messa, c’è stata una bellissima processione, perché si cammina fino alla tomba… era una bellissima giornata di dicembre per andare a piedi fin giù al cimitero. È stato molto bello.


Non ho mai avuto la sensazione che qua importi molto dell’orientamento sessuale della gente. È stato molto divertente perché l’anno scorso, Romana, ero a casa sua, e lei ha detto: “Allora, andrebbe bene, tutti pensano che andrebbe bene se ti trovassi un altro compagno. Noi ti sosterremmo” “Non sono interessato… uno è abbastanza”. La mia risposta! E giuro che è la verità.

Vivere fra due culture può rivelarsi un po’ schizofrenico, e l’ho percepito particolarmente dopo la morte di Ron. Quando sei lontano da un posto per troppo tempo, ti perdi le attività quotidiane. La gente è sempre felice di rivedermi quando ritorno, ma rischi di perderti la quotidianità. La mia residenza principale è Anghiari, ma sto bene quando sono in Canada. Per esempio, in Canada si troverebbero un nuovo compagno per il bridge se sto via troppo tempo. Allora quello che tendo a fare adesso è venire qua per un paio di mesi e poi tornare in Canada per una visita. Passo due mesi in Cambogia. Non so cosa farei se dovessi scegliere fra l’Italia e il Canada, mi piacciono entrambi. Direi che probabilmente passo più tempo qua ora che sono ufficialmente un residente, ma non voglio rinunciare alla mia vita in Canada. Ho un sacco di amici, ho una casa molto, molto carina e, naturalmente, fino a un paio di anni fa, c’era mia mamma.

Mia mamma veniva qua spesso, l’ultima volta che è venuta aveva 98 anni, ha festeggiato qui il suo novantacinquesimo compleanno. C’erano circa sessanta persone al castello di Sorci, appena fuori città, la maggior parte di Anghiari e alcuni della comunità degli expat. La parte vecchia del castello, dove c’è stata la festa, è affascinante, con tovaglie elegantissime e coprisedia. Il pranzo aveva tante portate, abbiamo cantato molto e riso, e bevuto vino, grappa e vin santo.

Ti do un’idea della mia vita quotidiana qua ad Anghiari. Il mio italiano è molto migliorato adesso. Vedi, dato che Ron parlava fluentemente italiano, non era necessario che lo facessi io, potevo appoggiarmi a lui. Ma poi, quando si è ammalato, ho dovuto, per organizzare le cose… Così parlare italiano e il dover fare le cose da solo ha fatto la differenza.

Comunque, come ho detto, la mattina spesso faccio il bucato perché c’è solo una lavatrice piccola e poi stendo e intanto chiacchiero con i vicini. Dopo faccio sempre colazione e poi di solito esco e vado in piazza. Vado giù e da Angela prendo il New York Times International (una volta era l’International Herald Tribune) e poi prendo un caffè al bar Garibaldi o al bar Sport… e questo è un modo piacevole per cominciare la giornata. Mi siedo e leggo il giornale. Faccio la spesa. Vado a trovare il macellaio e suo fratello, Mondo e Beppe, e poi vado da Letizia per le verdure e torno qua. E improvvisamente la mattina è volata. Qualche volta vado al mercato, dal barbiere… e vado ogni settimana dalla fioraia, compro sempre i fiori da Marta, la fioraia in piazza. Vado al supermercato a Sansepolcro, per la carta da cucina, il caffè, il tè, le cose di base, e il vino, perché là hanno una bella selezione.

Dopo pranzo faccio un pisolino, e mi siedo fuori e leggo molto, mi siedo in giardino quando fa bello e arriva il sole. Normalmente scrivo la mattina, sul tardi o il tardo pomeriggio, ma non direi che vengo qui per scrivere. Il pomeriggio spesso vado a fare una passeggiata. Normalmente cammino fin giù al cimitero…. E quando fa bello mi piace andare giù la sera e bere qualcosa o al bar Garibaldi o al Bar Sport.

Quando prendo un aperitivo la sera o il mio caffè la mattina chiacchiero sempre con la gente, vengono e si siedono con me. Al mattino sto da solo perché voglio leggere il giornale, ma comunque chiacchiero, se capita. Se vado al Garibaldi la mattina chiacchiero sempre…mi piace parlare con Olga, la signora bielorussa che serve al banco – le voglio molto bene.

Quello che rende Anghiari speciale è la gente – è una sensazione piacevole camminare per strada e sentire la gente che ti dice “buongiorno”. E io conosco… faccio un lavoro volontario alla Pro Loco, e così ho incontrato molte persone. È il mio modo di dire: “grazie” e penso che la gente lo apprezzi veramente molto, è per questo che mi trattano così bene, perché dicono ” Cerca di dare qualcosa in cambio”. Vado di solito il week end, in teoria dovrei dare informazioni e aiutare i visitatori che parlano inglese/francese, ma spesso mi lasciano lì da solo e mi occupo anche degli italiani! Mi lanciano strane occhiate, gli italiani – il signore alle informazioni con un italiano, diciamo, discutibile.

In biblioteca, vicino alla Pro Loco, ho presentato uno dei miei libri e sono venuti, è venuta gente di tutti i tipi. Non ci potevo credere, italiani che non parlavano una parola di inglese, ma comunque sono venuti. E sono venuti altri scrittori perché ero stato alle presentazioni dei loro libri, sempre in biblioteca dove ci sono degli eventi fantastici. Merryl, la bibliotecaria, è un’inglese…è qui da molto tempo e parla un italiano fluente.

Adesso gestisce la biblioteca come volontaria, una persona molto interessante… E affreschi bellissimi sui muri e sulle volte…

Comunque quando vado a prendere un caffè, entro nel bar e la gente mi dice “Ciao” e non mi sento uno straniero.

Quando sono in Canada è un’esperienza completamente diversa. Naturalmente, la gente dice ‘Hello’ ma 99 volte su 100 non conosco nessuno là. È proprio una cosa molto, molto diversa. Vado al supermercato e il week-end vado al mercato dei contadini e mi compro le verdure per la settimana. Finito. Far la spesa non è un evento della vita, non è un’attività sociale – vado solo per prendere della roba. Mentre qui al contrario mi piace molto parlare con Mondo il macellaio nel suo dialetto di Castello, e parlo con Letizia, le voglio molto bene. Fa parte della mia vita di tutti i giorni. Conosco le ragazze alla cassa in Canada, ma non è lo stesso.

In Canada la mia vita è molto diversa, vado in palestra e nuoto tutti i giorni. E appartengo a più giri sociali. Appartengo a un gruppo di bridge, per esempio, e faccio anche parte di un paio di comitati e vado in chiesa. In Anghiari vai in chiesa e chiacchieri e dici: “Buongiorno” e così via, ma non ci sono attività sociali legate all’andare in chiesa. In Canada sono nel gruppo di bridge, vado la domenica a prendere il caffè dopo la messa… Ci sono molte più cene o cocktail party, in Ottawa questo è il tipo di cerchia sociale di cui faccio parte. E se non ho voglia di stare a casa la sera ci sono cose che posso fare, magari un concerto, un film o andare a teatro. Mi sento un po’ più solo qui qualche volta, perché, in Canada, se mi sento solo, basta che telefoni a qualche amico e dica: “Vieni da me, preparo la cena e possiamo giocare a bridge”.  Qua non gioco a bridge.

Generalmente la gente non organizza cene o cocktail party qui in Anghiari, è uno stile di vita diverso. Mi piace organizzare cene, di solito ho gente a cena una volta la settimana, ma ho una regola, gli ospiti devono essere metà e metà, italiani e expat. Non faccio una cena solo con expat. Domani sera quando vieni a cena vedrai che c’è un misto. Fa bene agli expat mescolarsi un po’, ma penso anche che sia comunque più divertente.

A ripensarci mi sento meno uno straniero da quando sono da solo. Tutti sono stati così gentili con me e poi ho fatto volontariato e immediatamente sono diventato parte della comunità. Da quando sono da solo, devo parlare di più, devo fare le cose da solo. Devo sbrigarmela con la burocrazia e cose così…mi sentivo certamente parte della comunità già prima, ma quando sono rimasto da solo e ho scoperto che sapevo fare le cose, che sapevo cavarmela, beh, allora mi sono sentito felice.

 Ann and Mirella






One thought on “Belonging in Anghiari: Mark Curfoot-Mollington

  1. Thank you for the very interesting account of Mark’s life in Anghiari. We can totally relate to Mark’s experience as an expat and local there. Nick and I have been following the camino francaise trail the last six weeks. It is not a pilgrimage but it is a spiritual experience nonetheless. It is amazing how everyday activity in the medieval villages we stayed at is so social. I bent over laughing at Nick trying his best to speak French to the butchers at the boucherie and the bakers at the boulangerie every day. There is so much to talk about and they always have time for you. They are not worried about the next customer and will finish the conversation with you. I tend to worry that we are keeping others waiting but not Nick and the butcher. They would be having a jolly good chat punctuated with “d’accord and wee wee wee”. And then with a final “voila” we bid our butcher “abientot”. It is almost a ritual now and we have experienced the kindness and friendship of all the butchers, restauranteers, innkeepers and chateau owners through such day-to-day chats. It has been a spiritually social experience.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *